The basis of this calculator are the following facts:
- Fact: The Next Generation episode "The Neutral Zone", with a stardate of 41986.0, gave the calendar year as 2364 at the end of the first season.
- Fact: In the Voyager episode "Eye of the Needle" Commander Chakotay states that the current year is 2371, with a stardate of 48579.4.
- Fact: The date for the Voyager episode "11:59" was given as 22 April 2375. (No stardate was given in the episode, but episodes airing before and after it had stardates of 52647 and 52861.274.)
- Fact: The movie Star Trek: First Contact showed that humans made first contact with Vulcans on 5 April 2063.
- Fact: In the Voyager episode "Homestead" the crew is celebrating the 315th anniversary of First Contact Day. The following day, a captain's log is recorded on stardate 54868.6.
- Fact: In the Voyager episode "Q2", Icheb states that Kirk completed his historic five-year mission in 2270. Therefore, all episodes of The Original Series must have taken place after 1 January 2265 (assuming it was exactly five years), and before 1 January 2271.
- Fact: In the Next Generation episode "Sarek", Captain Picard states that Ambassador Sarek is 202 years old. The episode takes place on stardate 43917.4.
- Fact: In the Original Series episode "Journey to Babel", Ambassador Sarek states that he is precisely 102.437 Earth years old on stardate 3842.4.
- Fact: The difference in time between stardate 43917.4 ("Sarek") and 3842.4 ("Journey to Babel") is approximately 100 years.